If you have a garden, orchard, vegetable patch or if you are a square foot gardener this is the perfect chance to make the most out of it! Everyday more people are harvesting their own food is easy and you can avoid all the preservatives and chemicals that are harmful to our health. Its the perfect idea to save money and to have your own fruits and vegetables. It is not necessary for you to have a large garden to grow tomatoes.
Today we are showing some great tricks and benefits of tomatoe pruning, in this way you could harvest strong and healthy tomatoes! Pruning is a great idea if you are a gardener and you like to keep your plants healthy and tidy. We know how much time you spend sowing and cultivating your plants and how important it has become for you, thats why today we bring you this great technique to improve the gardening process. ¿Do you want to know more? Continue reading. Remember Share This With Your Family And Friends.
Great Tricks To Prune Your Tomatoes
- Once you are planting them take away all the flowers and lower leaves, in this way you can bury your plant deep in the soil, and all the plant energy will go to the growing process.
- To direct more energy to the roots you have to remove all the flowers until your tomatoe plant is around 12 to 18 inch tall, we also recommend you to take away all leafy suckers beneath the first fruit cluster, you can remove them with the help of a sharp knife.
- If you want to speed the ripening process in the late season you can apply something called topping with this technique you can stop the plant from flowering, instead it will direct all his energy and sugars to the actual fruit. You just have to take away any growing tip of each main steam, you can do this task about four weeks before the first fall frost.
- Pruning is more effective if your plants are in a vertical support, like trellis or stake.
- To avoid spreading any kind of disease, don´t prune your tomatoes when the leaves are wet.
We recommend you to do this only with indeterminate variaties.
Tomatoe Pruning Benefits
- Ripening: Your tomatoes will growth bigger and ripen faster.
- Pruning will improve airflow and less diseases: With fewer leaves is easier to spot insects pests, and leaves dry faster after a rain so the plants are less susceptible to diseases.